Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Gala, Gala, Gala!

Last week I got to have the experience of a lifetime: I got to sing an original song, I Will Fight, at one of the most prestigious events in Florence! I didn't realize what kind of event it was until I got there. IT. WAS. UNREAL. Absolutely unreal. And this event was no joke either--it was hosted by the Lion's Club and a program called ANT--it was held for fundraising purposes (The tickets were 100 euro per person. Ahhh! But me and 20 others from the program got in basically free) There was also an award ceremony being held for famous athletes in Europe. Like, Olympians!! I sat on a table next to an Olympian Gymnast who medaled! WHAT!? There was a little red carpet and one of those sponsor screen things that you take pictures in front of, we all felt famous, plus I was performing! And I wasn't even nervous which is HUGE for me, especially because I was singing without a piano. Before the actual dinner there was an "apperritivo", which in this case was everyone socializing throughout the building while caterers brought around trays of little appetizers. It was so yummy! The dinner was running late so we didn't even get in the room until midnight! They served two courses, but at that point I wasn't hungry as a result of me shoving my face during the apperitivo, plus it was passed midnight...And out of nowhere I came down with the worst migraine I have ever had! I didn't know if it was stress or nerves or something I ate, but it was bad... I got up to go get some air, but was stopped on my way out because it was my turn. I thought "Oh crap, I'm gonna pass out while I'm up there" but thankfully, everything just seemed to subside for the duration of my song. It was the coolest thing to me that even though there was a language barrier, and most couldn't understand what I was saying (they did introduce the song and its meaning in Italian, though), I couldn't help but notice that there were quite a bit of tears throughout the room, which made me tear up. The emotion in the room was so heavy, which is my main goal every time I sing for a crowd (250 people this particular time) and I felt so unbelievably good about it after the double applause. It was so surreal...
I ended up leaving immediately after my song, because I was feeling really sick. But from what I hear, two more courses were served and it didn't get over until about 2AM, and apparently it's normal for events to run that late. It's just crazy to me! 

&I have never seen a more beautiful venue in my entire life! Unfortunately, I had to use my phone for the minus track of my song so I couldn't take any of my own pictures. But thank goodness for the people out here, and for Facebook, I got tagged in a few pictures that I can share with you all! Like always, it will not even come close to doing it justice, but hopefully you'll get the idea of how elegant this was. The place was just incredible... Take a look.


Here's a bunch of my favorite people in front of the sponsors. 

Me and the lovely Dylan

Dylan, Chad, and myself

Me and the greatest housemate, Molly.


I look a bit like butt, but it's alright...If I find anymore pics, I'll stick them in another post ASAP



It was never my intention to sing for people out here- especially not one of my originals. But things just have a way of happening when you're passionate enough about something. I was more than happy with how this event went, but apparently that wasn't the end of my "Italian music career".
I walked into school this last Monday and one of the Staff ladies, Felicia, excitedly told me to check my email "now". So I went into the library and saw that I had an email from the head of the ANT program that I sang for at the Gala. She thanked me again for singing, and the asked me if I would be willing to sing the song again on NATIONAL RADIO! They told me the song was exactly what their association stands for, and they wanted to share it.
Of course I said yes!! I am so excited and so humbled from all of this. I wrote this song carefully, with sentimental attachments as it is something I fully believe in, but I didn't imagine it to make such an impact literally around the world. All I've ever wanted to do in my life is share my music for a good cause, and the fact that it is happening in Italy, a foreign country, is absolutely unreal. I feel so blessed, and I will let you know how the radio experience goes! 


Ciao for now!XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment